USA FIT Training Programs
When someone completes their first marathon or half marathon, the experience is so powerful that they carry it with them for the rest of their lives.
The physical and psychological benefits gained from this intensive training are truly remarkable. Here at Houston Fit, our goal is to safely bring these benefits to as many people as possible, including couch potatoes, Boston-qualifying athletes, and everybody in between.
The program is simple, but powerful. Over 26 weeks, through safe and steady coaching, members progress from little or no running base to race condition. Members follow our carefully developed training schedule during the week, then on the weekends, the entire group meets for ability-based long runs. These group meetings are great for lots of reasons. First, they’re a good chance to share the challenges and joys of training with others who are going through the same thing. Second, the weekly group meetings are important because members receive educational seminars on running or walking-specific topics that round out their training with essential practical and strategic information. Our emphasis is on safety and achievement, and we find that often, these meetings represent the beginning of many lifelong friendships. We hope you’ll join us.
USA FIT Houston’s runners form the backbone of our membership. Runners all receive weekly educational seminars, a schedule specifically designed for their ability level, an online support forum, and more.
At the start of each season, trainees will participate in time trials to determine the placement that best matches their ability. All participants will run two miles the first week, and we’ll advance up to 12 miles by the 14th week of training. All long runs (and occasional speed work) will be done alongside members of your pace group, so no one trains alone.
The program’s general format is as follows:
- Before each Saturday run, members will come together for the week’s announcements and to hear an educational seminar on key training topics designed to prepare runners for the rigors of this endurance sport.
- Members participate in an organized training run each Saturday morning with runners of similar training paces.
- Weekend runs will be followed by a brief discussion about the day’s workout and instructions for the coming week.
- Members adhere to a schedule of mid-week training runs. Those runs are built with busy lifestyles in mind, so they keep members moving toward their goals while requiring only a moderate amount of time on the road.
- Weekly speed training sessions may be available once the group has built a sufficient training base to handle it safely and comfortably
Walkers comprise an enthusiastic and growing segment of USA FIT Houston. This group is specifically designed for people walking a 13:45 or greater pace, or have never run before, but the goal is the same: to help you push your personal boundaries and achieve your performance and speed goals in an encouraging, safe environment. Walkers receive all the same benefits as runners.
All athletes meet on Saturday, and progress through an increasingly rigorous schedule each week until the season’s ending taper. Everyone receives the same excellent ability-based coaching, weekly educational seminars, mid-week support, and more.